What is a urologist?
- A urologist is a doctor and surgeon for the genitourinary system for men and the urinary system for women. We are also concerned with the sexual health of both men and women.
When should I see a urologist?
- Someone should see a urologist if they have a problem with their kidneys, ureter or bladder. This would include incontinence, kidney stones, cancers of the kidney, ureter, Bladder, urethra and penis, as well as testicular cancer, cancer of the epididymis or seminal vesicle. Someone should see a urologist if they have erectile dysfunction or kidney stones. So much and see a urologist for groin pain, chronic urinary infections or acute urinary tract infections, urethral, strictures, urinary leakage.
What types of procedures do urologists perform?
- Urologist, perform many procedures, including cystoscopy, vasectomy, urethral, sling for urinary incontinence, Hydrocele, repair, circumcision, ureteroscopy for treatment of kidney stones, shockwave, lithotripsy for kidney stones, removal of bladder, tumors, removal of genital warts, I intensity, focused ultrasound for treatment of prostate cancer (HIFU), TURP for transurethral, resection of prostate tissue or enlarged prostate.
It’s painful when I urinate. What could be the cause?
- If it is painful, when you urinate, you may have a urinary tract infection. This is caused by bacteria in your bladder. It could also be caused by a virus. Pain on urination can also be secondary to something called interstitial cystitis. This is an inflammatory condition of the bladder, which is not caused by an infection. It is treatable by a urologist.
Why does it take a long time to urinate?
- It may take a long time to urinate because the bladder is blocked by an enlarged prostate. The prostate grows as men age, growing from the inside out, beginning at the age of puberty. The prostate continues to grow throughout a man’s entire lifetime. Are urethral, stricture or scar tissue in the urethra can also cause slowing of the urinary stream.
Why is there blood in my urine?
- Blood in the urine may be a sign of cancer of the bladder or the kidney. It could also be a sign of infection. Blood in the urine can appear from kidney stones or from a blood disorder leading to bleeding. Blood can also happen from inflamed vessels in the prostate or the bladder. Bleeding in the urine can also happen after changes from radiation treatments of the bladder.
Why is there blood in my semen?
- Blood in semen can happen from infection of the prostate or of the seminal vesicles. It is usually a benign condition. Rarely does blood in semen mean anything serious. Blood in semen may persist normally for several weeks, but usually clears up by itself.
What causes kidney stones and how can I prevent them?
- Kidney stones are usually caused by calcium. 80% of kidney stones are calcium oxalate. Can you stones can also be caused by an accumulation of uric acid. Other forms of kidney stones can be inherited such as cystine stones. Urinary stones are formed in people when they are dehydrated. It can also be due to a lack of citrate in the diet. Citrate can be added back into the diet by taking more citrus fruit like lemon and orange juice.
Do I need to be screened for prostate cancer?
- Men should be screened for prostate cancer, starting at age 50 with a PSA blood test and a digital rectal exam. If there is a family history of prostate cancer, or if they are African-American, then they should start screening at age 40.
Why is my sex drive lower than normal?
- A man’s sex drive may depend on his level of testosterone. Also, many medications can affect sex, drive such as antidepressants, antihypertensives, and sedatives. Chronic opioid use can lead to a lower testosterone and a decrease in sex drive.
What are the different treatments for incontinence?
- Treatments for incontinence in women can include surgery to place a sling underneath the urethra. This can be done with minimally invasive surgery, making only a small incision in the vagina itself. Other treatments for incontinence include an artificial urinary sphincter, which is usually for men, but can also be used for women. Non-invasive treatments for incontinence include the Emsella chair which uses magnetic energy, focused on the pelvis, to strengthen the muscles of the pelvis and relieve incontinence. Incontinence can also be treated by injection of bulking substances inside the urethra. Another treatment for incontinence is called InterStim, using electrical stimulation to the nerve that goes to the bladder. A small implant about the size of a pacemaker is placed in the buttocks , and can treat the incontinence for up to 10 years.